Fuel Campus Ministries newest religious organization at Marshall

Fuel Campus Ministries is the newest religious organization to join the Marshall University campus.

“It’s to help equip Christians, once a week in the middle of the day, to give them a boost and encouragement of God’s word. And it’s also for those who wouldn’t classify themselves as Christians or have questions about what the Bible is,” said Jared Shumate, associate pastor at Teays Valley Baptist Church. “We desire that everyone would come to know Jesus Christ as their savior.”

Shumate said Fuel Campus Ministries came from Fuel Bible clubs he helped found in the Putnam County area.

“At the high school level, it’s a little bit different,” Shumate said. “It’s a totally student-led club, so our student leadership will set a schedule for pastors or preachers to come in and both encourage and evangelize.”

Craig Tuemler, administrator for Fuel Campus Ministries and deacon at Teays Valley Baptist Church, said their goal is to expand throughout the state and onto other college campuses.

“From high school on, we see a point where people are just kind of let go,” Tuemler said. “We’re very active with our middle school and high school kids, but once you get into post-high school, it seems like a lot of them are just sent out into the world and left on their own. They don’t have a place where they can come and share and hear God’s word, and many times you see people falling away. We wanted to come to the campus and be an encouragement to help give them a place they can come where the Bible is taught and preached.”

Weekly meetings, which consist of ice-breakers, singing and prayer are at 2 p.m. in room 2W37 of the Memorial Student Center and alternate between Mondays and Tuesdays to ensure every student has an opportunity to join the group.

“I hope the university sees it as a great resource to their students, to minister for their students’ companionship and fellowship,” Shumate said.

Tuemler said members of the group hope to organize events outside of weekly meetings for the future.

“Anywhere the door opens, we’re hoping to grow this,” Tuemler said. “It’s a positive influence. There are so many things that can draw [students] in different directions, and this is a place where they can get fed spiritually.”

Olivia Zarilla can be contacted at [email protected].