Upcoming CCC events for 2016/17 school year

Marshall University’s Campus Christian Center is currently home to four different Christian organizations, which includes Inside Out (IOMU), Baptist Campus Ministry (BCM), United Methodist Students (UMS) and University Church (UKIRK).

While members of these groups attend separate weekly meetings and host different events, each organization works toward a similar goal.

“We want to see people change here on campus,” said Zack Sturgill, pastor for IOMU. “We’re not here to try to put any other ministry down, because they’re there for the same purpose that we’re here. We want unity, and we want our people at Inside Out to go out and be the ministers that they’re called to be.”

While IOMU’s weekly meetings typically include music from a live band and a worship team, the group plans to have a variety of events throughout the semester, including a Christian Campus Center tailgate party on Sept. 10 and 24, a Thanksgiving dinner for the football team at Christ Temple Church and a Halloween event at 8 p.m. in the Campus Christian Center.

In addition to the events organized by members of Inside Out, other ministries focus on a similar goal on campus and host events of their own, one of which is UKIRK.

“Each of the campus ministry programs supports what the other programs are doing,” said Claire Butler, UKIRK campus minister. “We try to have opportunities to do events together.”

Because one of UKIRK’s objectives is to see students helping the community, the ministry focuses on volunteering and mission trips.

“There’s some interest in doing a local mission trip here in West Virginia to do some flood-recovery work,” said Butler. “We have an organization here that’s sponsored by the Presbyterian church that we’re hoping to do some work with. They did a program last year called ‘Sole Hope,’ which is making shoes for children in Africa out of old jeans, so there’s some interest in doing that again.”

Another group on campus that takes part in mission work is UMS. Members of the ministry take part in events such as supporting the Burrito Riders, a local group that prepares meals for those who need them and delivers them via bike.

UMS, however, also has more events planned for the 2016-2017 school year, such as taking part in Habitat for Humanity, a spring break mission trip and hosting a Halloween breakfast, according to UMS Minister Benjamin Wells.

Members of BCM are also hopeful for upcoming events, which include a Sept. 16 game night in the Campus Christian Center that will consist of board games and capture-the-flag, tailgates, a fall retreat at Camp Cowen, attending ‘Passion 2017,’ a conference in Atlanta, as well as bringing 12 to 14 students to Bolivia for a mission trip during spring break.

“One of our goals is to try to make sure the students are involved in the community,” said Rob Ely, director of student ministries for the West Virginia Baptist Convention. “We talk about changing lives that change the world.”

All students are welcome to gather in the Campus Christian Center for “Lunch for a Buck” from 11:30 a.m. to 1 p.m. Sept. 13 and 27, Oct. 11 and 25, Nov. 8 and Dec. 13.

Olivia Zarilla can be contacted at [email protected].