MU students spend spring break in Huntington

Marshall University students went on vacations, visited family or traveled back to their hometowns during spring break last week, but some chose to stay in Huntington.
Marshall student Clayton Tichy said he decided to visit his family because the dorms on campus were closed during the break.
“I live in the Haymaker dorms on Marshall University’s campus,” Tichy said. “Due to them being closed over break, I decided to go home and visit my family and friends in Parkersburg, West Virginia where I grew up.”
Tichy said he was relieved he was able to leave campus for break and enjoy a week of no homework and school.
“It felt good to finally catch a break and be able to enjoy some free time,” Tichy said.
Some students, unlike Tichy, stayed in Huntington for the week because of other responsibilities and obligations outside of being a student.
Marshall senior Codie Lloyd, a business management major, said he spent his break in Huntington working toward his goals for a strongman competition.
“I spent my spring break 2015 in the gym training for my strongman competition next month,” Lloyd said. “I took advantage of my free time by putting in countless hours at the gym so I can get stronger and stronger for my competition.”
Marshall senior communication studies major Britta Aguirre did not get to go away for spring break because of other obligations.
“I didn’t get to escape for spring break,” Aguirre said. “I am a mom, and that is a whole different identity as being a student. When school is in session, I run back and forth between mom and college student.”
Students decided to stay in Huntington to make extra money because there were no classes to attend over break.
Marshall senior social work major Kyra Carter said she decided to make money instead of spend it.
“I decided to take advantage of my week of free time by increasing my hours of availability at work because the majority of employees were out of town due to spring break,” Carter said.
Marshall’s spring break was March 13-22 and is the last break for students until summer.
Erika Johnk can be contacted at [email protected].