Four Drinko study rooms close for renovation

Drinko Library stands as a student hub for learning outside of the classroom, September 12, 2016.
Ryan Fischer | The Parthenon

With renovations underway in four of the operating study rooms in Drinko Library, finding a location to cram before finals may present another a challenge for many students.

Marshall University released a statement Monday morning that Drinko will temporarily close the study rooms on the second floor in order to renovate the area and move the MUID office from its current location in the basement of the Memorial Student Center.

In response to the challenge, the library is offering four different rooms on the first floor for student usage.

For many students, the second, third and fourth floors offer a quiet alternative for those who struggle to study alongside their peers.

Marshall student Heather Hanson said the situation presented additional stressors during finals.

“It would’ve been more convenient if they would’ve waited a little bit longer just so students had more quiet places to study,” Hanson said. “The common area in the library can get pretty noisy sometimes.”

Others, however, said they look forward to branching out from standard study spots.

“Its usually pretty packed in there anyways, so I don’t event attempt to use those,” said Marshall student Crit Stender. “There’s plenty of places to study around the campus, people just have got to get creative.”

The statement released recommended other studying locations across campus for students, such as the Memorial Student Center and Morrow Library.

Construction for the new MUID Office is expected to begin December 19 and is expected to be finished by February 2017.