SGA launches ‘Get Home Safe’ campaign for Green Machine bus

The Student Government Association, in partnership with the university, will issue a “Get Home Safe” campaign that will encourage students to ride the Green Machine bus after dark.

According to a Tri-State Transit Authority survey, students don’t ride the bus at night because they “are afraid to ride the bus after drinking.”

Some of the ideas discussed included having SGA members or volunteers stand at the bus stops to encourage students to get on the bus, providing free snacks and water on the bus or having special events on the bus, such as comedians or karaoke.

Since the grand reveal of the Green Machine – which provides student transportation to prominent areas in Huntington for a $16 cost included in students fees – 250 to 300 students ride it each day. But a complaint among the student riders has been that the bus tracker app associated with the bus isn’t operating as efficiently as expected. The app reportedly hasn’t taken into account the delays the bus has from traffic.

Student Body President Matt Jarvis was absent from this meeting, but wrote that he has met with the president of TTA in regards to improving the tracker app and providing ways to encourage students to ride the bus at night.

One of the bills up for discussion was the MU Professional Wrestling Club that requested $500 to do promotions on campus.

Jon Reed, a freshman and president of the MU Professional Wrestling Club, talked about his inspiration for starting the new club and explained exactly what it is.

“I started this club because there isn’t really an established wrestling community here on campus. I was doing some research on professional wrestling clubs at other universities and saw that very few had wrestling fan clubs,” Reed said. “In this club, we would watch wrestling matches on pay-per-view, play wrestling video games and help other students get tickets to professional wrestling matches when they are in town at the Big Sandy Arena.”

This was the senate’s eighth meeting of the semester, and took place in the Memorial Student Center.

Kyle Camacho can be contacted at [email protected].