Merge Campus Ministries merging into the community

Members of Merge Campus Ministries met on Thursday during a weekly meeting to discuss being open to others, an idea leaders of the group encourage.

While Merge Campus Ministries is one of the many religious groups on Marshall University’s campus, TJ Lawhon, campus pastor for Merge, said they encourage students who are not native to Huntington to join.

“We really like getting kids that are from out of town and have never been to Huntington,” Lawhon said. “I like showing them around and plugging them into local churches. I believe it’s very important if they are from out of town that they should get involved in a local congregation while they’re here.”

In addition to assisting students not familiar with the area in attending congregations, Lawhon said much of the group’s mission work is accomplished through individual students after they are put in contact with local organizations, such as the Huntington City Mission and Harmony House.

“I try to plug them into volunteer opportunities where they can be involved and help,” Lawhon said. “I was the men’s ministry director at the City Mission for a couple years, so I have contacts there, and I especially like putting my kids at the (City) Mission because I know what kind of ministry that is.”

Merge leader Ana Pena said the main purpose of the group is to bring together likeminded people to study the bible, but she said anyone can become a part of the group.

“As Christians, sometimes when you enter college it’s such a big world with so many things going on, it’s easy to get lost in the crowds,” Pena said. “One of the main goals is to attract people and make them feel welcome and like they have a refuge and fellowship here.”

Merge Campus Ministries meets every Thursday at 6 p.m. in room 2W22 of the Memorial Student Center. Future events will include a tailgate at 4 p.m. on Oct. 15 and mission work for Operation Christmas Child beginning the end of October and continuing until Thanksgiving break.

Olivia Zarilla can be contacted at [email protected].