VAC’s first Capstone Exhibition scheduled to open Sunday

Haley Wade, Reporter

Marshall University’s Visual Arts Center has had several exhibitions since its official opening in September, but Sun-day will mark the opening of an exhibit people have yet to see.

“Intertwined” is the first ex-hibition showcasing capstone work from seniors in the School of Art and Design, which will display work from students of different artistic backgrounds.

Senior Megan Kappes said the name of the exhibition comes from the variety of stu-dents working on it.

“The meaning behind our

whole title is that we are kind of intertwined through our in-spirations,” Kappes said. “There are students focusing on music, on abstract work and texture and those focused on fantasy, so we all have very different in-tersecting aspects of our work.” Senior Erica Gallimore said she is happy to see the center’s first capstone exhibit showcas-ing work she has produced this year.

“I’m really nervous and ex-cited to be the first senior show at the new building because we, in a sense, set the mark for fu-ture shows,” Gallimore said.

Gallimore said the exhibition

has allowed her to expand her abilities during her final year at Marshall.

“I’ll be showing a collection of work with my classmates,” Gallimore said. “It’s highlighted my abilities and allowed me to explore a facet of design that I hadn’t been able to pursue before.”

Kappes said working on “In-tertwined” has brought her closer to other forms and medi-ums of art.

“I’m doing a video cover of a song by Alex Clare,” Kappes said, “and it’s a lot more than

I’ve necessarily taken classes on in graphic design, but I’ve actually learned a lot through doing this. I’m kind of explor-ing the relationship between visual and oral art.”

Gallimore said she has been excited to see how the theme behind the exhibit has brought different varieties of art together.

“There are six talented se-niors in this capstone show, all from different back-grounds,” Gallimore said. “There are three graphic de-sign students, one painter, one ceramist and one fibers student.”

The mixed-media used in the exhibit is something Gal-limore said she is glad to see.

“Every exhibition we have is a great opportunity to see what other people are doing in art,” Gallimore said. “This show is an example of re-

search into multiple fields.”

Kappes said the exhibit has helped the class to explore beyond the spectrum of work on which they usually focus.

“We’ve learned about differ-ent aspects and elements of design,” Kappes said. “There are all kinds of art, such as visual art, oral art and physi-cal art. We’re exploring the relationships between many forms.”

The first capstone exhibi-tion is open 2 p.m. to 4p.m. Sunday and will remain open through Thursday.

Haley Wade can be contacted at [email protected].