Students prepare for winter weather

Lydia Waybright

Students display their winter gear in the cold outside Marshall University, January 19, 2015.

The 2016 Spring Semester welcomed students back to campus with a first day below 20 degrees. Students walked to class from building to building while fighting the wind, snow and freezing air.

After a surprisingly warm fall, winter has taken a turn toward many freezing days. Several weeks of cold degree weather is on the forecast for Marshall students. Students must be prepared with a winter weather wardrobe.

“I was prepared because I lived in Minnesota last year and the winters were awful there,” said freshman Meredith O’Bara. “I knew that it wasn’t going to be as bad here as it usually was there.”

Other students, however, were not as ready for the low temperatures. Junior, Ben Jones said he felt “not at all” prepared for the cold days ahead. “But that’s life honestly,” Jones said.

Marshall’s campus is full of hands shoved in pockets and hats pulled over ears during these below-freezing days. Jones considered his North Face jacket a go-to item in his wardrobe. Jones also got creative by twisting his scarf up over his head.

O’Bara gave a few helpful tips for how to keep a cold weather wardrobe. “I always wear a scarf because you can always cover your face with it if you need to and it just keeps you warm,” O’Bara said. “You can also use it as a hat if you really need to.”

O’Bara also suggested keeping gloves on hand. “I always keep gloves in the pockets of my jacket. That way they’re there anytime you need them,” O’Bara said.

Some students asked for snow gear as holiday gifts, knowing they would be walking through many cold days of school.  “I got a Columbia jacket that has the fleece inside that you can take out,” O’Bara said.

Sophomore, Brock Herrenkohl said he received Columbia gear for Christmas. “I hate the cold,” Herrenkohl said, while sporting his green, puffy jacket.

In the decision between fashion and comfort in the winter,  “Comfort, always,” O’Bara said. Jones said warmth is his priority when it comes to clothing in the winter. “Hopefully it’s comfortable, but fashion is that last thing,” Jones said.

Lydia Waybright can be contacted at [email protected].