NRHH provides opportunity for on-campus students to get involved

The National Residence Hall Honorary organization exists for the top one percent of the residence hall population on campus. Marshall’s chapter of NRHH began in 2014, dissolved the following semester and saw reconstruction in the fall of 2015. Marshall’s housing population is 2,300 residents; the top one percent of that population would be 23.

“The number 23 is not concrete due to the fact we understand that more than 23 residents could reach beyond the point of residence hall excellence,” said Olivia Giovingo, president of NRHH.

“Currently we have 16 active members, all with the exception of one are resident advisors or academic mentors.”

Giovingo said NRHH is an opportunity for residents to get involved with housing and residence life. Anyone living on campus is eligible to become a member. To become a member, a resident must be nominated by a current member of NRHH. After being nominated, a resident may fill out an application and submit it to the general assembly. From there, the general assembly will review and vote on the applicant.

“Recruitment has come primarily from the resident advisors because the chapter is so small, but we are looking to change the stereotype that only resident advisors are involved,” said current NRHH member, Chris Eddy.

NRHH operates on two pillars of recognition and community service. Under the pillar of recognition, members help show appreciation to those who work hard everyday to make the residence halls operate smoothly. NRHH members make banners and buy gifts for desk coordinators, resident directors, assistant resident directors, housekeeping and maintenance.

The NRHH works under the second pillar by volunteering at local non-profit agencies such as the Ronald McDonald House. NRHH members said they want the organization to become more prominent within the residence halls.

“Keep your eyes open for progression, changes, and development as we grow as a chapter,” Eddy said.

Cheyenne DeBolt can be contacted at debolt2@marshall.edu.