Out with the old, in with the new Drinko library hours

Emily Rice

Students take advantage of the library’s computers. The library will now be closing at 11 p.m. Monday through Thursday.

Budget cuts have been sweeping the Marshall University campus and the John Deaver Drinko Library was not exempt from the wave.

The library that was once open “24 hours a day” now closes at 11 p.m. Monday through Thursday and some students on campus are not taking the news too well.

Senior nursing major Jasmine Woods said Drinko could have notified students that the change was coming.

“I was in the library around 10:30 p.m. and kept hearing announcements that the library would be closing in 30 minutes and I was immediately confused,” Woods said. “At 11 p.m. they rounded everyone up and told us we had to leave.”

Jody Perry, executive director of Drinko Library, said that he was an advocate for the extended operation hours.

“I’ve gotten several complaints from students already and I understand,” Perry said. “I started here in 2009. That’s one of things I wanted to do when I got here was open the whole building 24-hours.”

Perry stated that due to the budget cuts the library suffered, it was forced to eliminate two overnight positions. Without those positions, it wouldn’t be possible to keep the building open past a certain time.

Even though the hours have been changed, Drinko staff has decided to open the entire building for 24-hours during the last two weeks of the semester for final exams.

Previous to the hour change, Drinko Library redecorated the first floor. The library’s old furniture has been replaced by new desk areas, couches and computers for students to use. They also have updated laptops are also available for the students to check out and use for a 24-hour period.

The study rooms have been upgraded with new room reservation software that allows students to have easier access to room reservations.

All of these changes have been set to improve the appearance and quality of the library, and library staff are anticipating more changes to come.

Drinko’s new hours of operation and all information regarding study room reservations can be found online.

Imani Spradley can be contacted at [email protected].