Marshall Helps out Local High School

Clothes are being brought in constantly to Huntington High for clothing drive.

Abi Black

Clothing collection bins have been set up around Marshall University’s campus to benefit a local public school. Huntington High School, located 11 minutes from campus, has a closet that is open to students in need of clothes. Mrs. Teresa Rapp, career specialist at Huntington High, began to donate clothes to students in need while her children were in high school.

“I would bring things in and they would disappear,” Rapp said. “They kept asking me if I had anything else.”

Now both her children have graduated but the donations have not slowed down. A t-shirt and a pair of jeans here and there became a whole closet. A place where students in need can get, not only clothes, but food and hygiene products as well. The closet is open at all times to any students, no questions asked, according to Rapp.

Sara Campbell, a freshman at Marshall and former Huntington High student remembers the closet being open to any and every situation that arose.

“They kept asking me if I had anything else.”

— Teresa Rapp

“Like even throughout the day if you got in trouble for wearing leggings or something you could go get stuff, but it was mainly for people who didn’t have enough money to get stuff,” Campbell said.

According to Rapp 55 percent of the school’s students are on free or reduced lunch and she said that particular program is based on their household income.

Rapp said the closet serves 40 students a day, many who are repeat customers, homeless or transient.

“I don’t ask a lot of questions, but some of them do open up in the end,” Rapp said.

Rapp recalls assisting one the students by providing him a bed. One of the teachers had an extra mattress and they gave it to the student, according to Rapp, told them he had never had his own bed.

The collection bins for the clothing drive will be available till September 18, and can be found in The Women’s Center, the Marshall Rec Center, and Harris Hall 107.

Abi Black can be contacted at [email protected]