The Search for a New President Continues

The search for a new university president is still underway and expected to wrap up by the end of the semester.

After a long search process by the Board of Governors and the choosing committee, the search has been narrowed to six candidates. The presidential search committee consulted with AGB Search Inc. in May to ensure a selection of what the board refers to as the best candidates.

“Our goal is to find the best person to be our next president and we wanted to be certain we had explored every possibility,” said Michael G. Sellards, Chairman of the Board of Governors and Chairman of the Presidential Search Committee on the presidential search webpage.

The search started with a number of applicants and outreaches. AGB selected a pool of 11 candidates and after vetting those candidates, the board has shortlisted its search to six people.

The pool of candidates includes at least one sitting university president and other academic officers with successful terms as interim presidents. Confidentiality is a key part to this point of the selection and names of candidates have not been released.

“The main priority has to be the students, that’s what I’m looking for in a president.”

— Duncan Waugaman

The search committee will hold off-campus interviews in September for all six candidates. From these interviews, the pool will be shortlisted to an expected three to four candidates.

In the final stage of choosing each of the final candidates will hold on-campus interviews. The possible presidents will hold conversations with various members of Marshall University, including the students.

The name of the final recommended candidate will be chosen by the Board of Governors and sent to the West Virginia Higher Education Policy Commission for final approval.

The decision has been worked on since summer and is anticipated to finalize before spring semester. Student body president, Duncan Waugaman, said it is important that the process has taken its time.

“This is the most lasting decision I will make as student body president,” Waugaman said. “The main priority has to be the students, that’s what I’m looking for in a president.”

The presidential search is consistently updated on the university’s webpage.

Ashley Sodosky can be contacted at [email protected].