SGA adds senate seats for INTO MU student representatives

Marshall University’s Student Government Association added two INTO MU senate seats to its cabinet.

Students were asked to vote for this amendment during last month’s student body elections.

“We thought why not try to create a seat for them in our organization so they have not only a voice, but also a vote” said Student Body President Duncan Waugaman. “We need to express their opinions on a grander scale at all times.”

Marshall students who have completed the INTO MU pathway program are eligible for a seat.

Waugaman said the two students elected will attend regular senate meetings, vote on bills and vote on resolutions.

“They’re going to be able to help make changes around campus, for the better,” Waugaman said. “Everyone has worked so hard to make this happen, and I just couldn’t happier to get started.”

Andrea Celorio, graduate assistant at the Office of Study Abroad, said she completely supports international representation in SGA.

“I think it’s really good,” Celorio said. “I’ve always encouraged international students to participate and get involved in school and the community, so I think it’s really great that they’re integrating the international students with SGA, which is such an important organization at Marshall.”

Celorio also said she thinks INTO MU students will want to participate in other activities and organizations on campus once they have a representative in student government.

“I think a lot of times they don’t exactly know what’s going on around campus,” Celorio said. “So I think they’ll definitely be more informed after this election.”

No official date has been set for the election, but Waugaman said it will occur sometime before finals week.

Amy Napier can be contacted at napier168@ marshall.edu.