Men’s Basketball Dominates Georgia State 103-65

Kamdyn+Curfman+is+looking+to+pass+to+a+teammate.+

Shauntelle Thompson

Kamdyn Curfman is looking to pass to a teammate.

Chayce Matheny, Sports Editor

Men’s basketball defeated Georgia State 103-65 Saturday night, Jan. 28.

After a crushing loss to ULM in double overtime Thursday, the Herd put on a solid offensive and defensive performance against the Panthers.

Marshall shot 56 percent from the field and forced 23 turnovers.

Junior Andrew Taylor was the game’s leading scorer with 20 points.

“A lot of it was focusing and taking care of what we were doing,” Taylor said. “I feel like Thursday; maybe we weren’t speeding the other team up as much as we needed to defensively. Tonight, we had our foot on the gas and kept it there and got a 40-point victory.”

Marshall had five other players in double figures. Senior Taevion Kinsey had 18 points, sophomore Obinna Anochili-Killen had 18 points, freshman Micah Handlogten had 11 points, junior Kamdyn Curfman had 11 points and freshman Jacob Conner had 10 points.

“Shout-out to the fans for coming here and selling out this event,” Kinsey said. “I think it made it real hard for them to come out here and play. I don’t think they really expected it like that.”

Herd men’s basketball coach Dan D’Antoni said his team needs to keep this energy moving forward.

“We had the energy that we’ve been missing a little bit,” he said. “We just can’t let up. We’ve got to play like a champion every week – every practice, every game, regardless of what happens.”

Marshall’s largest lead was 49 points.

Georgia State’s leading scorer was sophomore Jamaine Mann with 12 points.

The Panthers shot 32 percent from the field and 15 percent from the three-point mark.

Next, Marshall will go on the road against Appalachian State Thursday at 6:30 p.m.