From the Dean of Students: COVID-19 Compliance

Greetings Marshall University students,

We are ALL struggling to some degree with managing our lives and following the science of keeping ourselves, classmates, family members and others as healthy as possible during this serious pandemic. 

Although it may be quite a challenging time, each of us MUST remain disciplined and adhere completely to federal, state and local public health guidelines, as well as to Marshall University’s requirements for conduct on campus, as outlined in the Marshall Return to Campus Student Agreement.

It has come to my attention that during recent weeks there have been several disturbing incidents involving students choosing not to follow our COVID-19 safety guidelines, avoiding or requesting to opt out of required random COVID testing, non-compliance with contact tracing requirements, not practicing social distancing and/or refusing to wear a mask at required times and places. There is zero tolerance for disregarding these guidelines.

You must realize that when found in violation of these and other protective guidelines, students may/will be referred to the Office of Student Conduct for a timely investigation that can result in serious consequences.

As a reminder, student responsibilities related to COVID-19 include: 

·         #1. Wearing a mask or face covering properly in all university buildings, including in class. You are not required to wear a mask in your own residence hall room.

·         #2. Maintaining social distancing. Place a minimum of six feet of distance (two arms’ length) between yourself and others.

·         #3. Completing a daily health check on the MarshallU Healthcheck app and participating in random COVID-19 testing when requested. This is a requirement for all students who will be on campus, whether daily or sporadically for classes, or to use campus resources such as Drinko Library, etc.

·         #4. Practicing proper personal hygiene, such as washing hands often, covering coughs and sneezes, and cleaning and disinfecting frequently touched surfaces daily.

·         #5. Avoiding gathering in large groups, such as house parties, and at bars and restaurants, etc.

Remember, there is currently no vaccine to prevent COVID-19, so the best way to prevent illness is to avoid being exposed to the virus. COVID-19 is thought to be spread person-to-person through respiratory droplets when an infected person coughs, sneezes or talks, although some carriers may not show symptoms. That’s why wearing a mask when you are around others is so important.

I suggest you review information about safety measures and guidance related to COVID-19, by visiting www.marshall.edu/coronavirus. Share your knowledge with others to spread the word of good health practices. I ask that you remain diligent in following safety precautions. 

We can all get through this without disrupting your academic progress if we practice the best habits and encourage others to do the same. 

Let’s Do This Together,

Maurice R. Cooley

Dean of Students