Athlete of the Week: Taevion Kinsey, Men’s Basketball

Richard Crank

Sophomore guard Taevion Kinsey is this week’s athlete of the week.

Position: Guard

Class: Sophomore

Height: 6’5

Weight: 185 lbs.

Hometown: Columbus, Ohio

RESULTS OVER THE LAST WEEK: 

29 points, 11 rebounds vs. Charlotte (77-75, L)

18 points, 4 assists vs. Old Dominion (68-67, W)

After leading the Marshall University basketball team in scoring over the past week, sophomore guard Taevion Kinsey has earned athlete of the week. He averaged 23.5 points per game while also managing to shoot 65% from the field over a two-game span.

Although the team came up short against Charlotte last Thursday, Kinsey individually recorded his third career double-double, and his 29 points in the contest were a career high. Scoring 20 of his 29 points in the second half, his effort helped bring the Herd within two points by the final buzzer, coming up just a bit short of victory. 

However, the taste of defeat did not last too long as he helped lead his teammates to a victory against Old Dominion two days later. As a part of the thrilling finish, he went to the free-throw line with a chance to put the Herd on top with just 18 seconds left in a tie game. Even though he missed on his second attempt, one made free throw was all the Herd needed from Kinsey to come away with a conference win.

On the season, Kinsey is averaging 15.8 points per game, which is the most on the team and sixth most in Conference USA. He is also third in the conference in assists per game and assist-to-turnover ratio.