MUPD wants women to feel R.A.D. after taking defense course

Mackenzie Jones

The Rape Aggression Defense System course aims to train women how to defend themselves.

Training women in self-defense, for 21 years Marshall University has offered R.A.D., or the Rape Aggression Defense System, and since 2000, Sergeant Scott Ballou, a West Virginia state lead R.A.D. director, has been a part of the program. 

“I believe that all women should take some form of self-defense class,” Ballou said. “It doesn’t have to be our class, but all women should try to educate themselves at some point on what to do if they find themselves in a bad situation.” 

Marshall’s self-defense course, PEL 120, is taught every semester as an eight-week course which is open to all female students and contains approximately 25 students. 

Mackenzie Jones
Sergeant Scott Ballou practicing self-defense with a student during the Rape Agression Defense course.

Even after taking this course, students can take a second, advanced self-defense course offered at Marshall in the second eight weeks of every spring semester. 

“This course gives women such an empowering feeling, I believe,” Ballou said. “They learn how to hold themselves and how to carry themselves, signs to look for in body language and the way others carry themselves and see their intent before they may portray it more. And that is very meaningful, and something they should be proud of. 

“With this course you find that knowing what to do in these situations isn’t all about the action, how to fight off someone or defend yourself. That’s only about 10%,” Ballou said. “90% of knowing what to do and being ready for any possible situation is the education.” 

R.A.D. courses are offered not just at Marshall, but all over the country and the state of West Virginia.

“There are courses for men, women, children, senior citizens… well, there are courses for everyone,” Ballou said. “And there are multiple different courses, as well. Just, specifically at Marshall, we focus on self-defense for our female students. In the end, if I had a daughter attending Marshall University this would be the first course she was registered in, whether I was the instructor or not.”

Mackenzie Jones can be contacted at [email protected].