SGA approves updated senate bylaws

The newly-revised senate bylaws of the Student Government Association, updated for the first time in over a decade, were approved during a meeting of the student senate Tuesday in the Memorial Student Center.

The version of the Bylaws of The Marshall University Student Government Association Senate document that was approved during the student senate meeting had been revised by a committee of student senators.

Before revisions were undertaken by the committee, the SGA senate bylaws had not been revised since an estimated 2003, said Parliamentarian Jo Tremmel, who was one senator involved in the document’s revision.

“It gives more legitimacy to the organization if we have a set of governing documents that is current and that we follow,” Tremmel said. “For such a long time, like we had the bylaws and constitution, and we wouldn’t follow them because things were impractical or outdated, but now we have a set of documents that we’ve put work into and we have updated so that it’s practical to follow them and it’s easy to follow them also, but also still keeps us accountable to the students that we represent.”

Revisions to the Bylaws of The Marshall University Student Government Association Senate document included changing the layout of the document to match the updated version of the constitution, fixing grammatical errors, making updates to make policy items match with current practices and changing the apprenticeship director position to the senate education and outreach director, making the position holder a resource to more types of students, Tremmel said.

Sen. Jeremiah Parlock was chair of the Bylaw Revision Committee for the senate bylaws, Tremmel said.

Other individuals who were involved in the revision of the document included Sens. Brennan Amaral, Emilie Christenberry, Tabby Collins, Madison Davis, Benjamin Day, Mary Erwin, Brian Stein, Ralph May, Darby McCloud and Angel Wallace, as well as Tremmel and Noelle Soares, student senate president pro-tempore, who served as an ex-officio member, Tremmel said.

The Constitution of the Marshall University Student Government Association, which had not been revised since an estimated 2000, was also revised, and the document was previously approved by the student body during the 2017-2018 academic year, Tremmel said.

Both revised documents can be viewed on HerdLink.

Jesten Richardson can be contacted at [email protected].