Buddy System aims to build connections

A new organization on Marshall’s campus is helping make the transition onto campus easier for students. The Buddy System provides students who are not as comfortable attending an event by themselves someone to go with.

Morgan Conley, advisor of the Buddy System, said the group started under the name “Welcome Brigade,” which was designed to help transfer students transition to campus. Conley said that the majority of students interested in the group were not transfer students but were still having issues transitioning. 

“The main issue was that students wanted to attend events and be involved but were intimidated to do it by themselves,” Conley said. “We decided to rename the group and open to all students and make our main focus be creating a network for students to meet other students who wanted to attend to the same events.”

The goal of the Buddy System is to be available for all campus events, member Rebecca Harrah said. 

“We advertise that someone is attending an event on our Facebook and Twitter page,” Harrah said. “That way, if another student on campus would like to attend, they could reach out and get in contact with the person attending.”

Matt Jordan, a member of the Buddy System, said the organization has had a positive impact on campus by allowing students to go to events and not feel alone. He said he has also learned things because of the Buddy System. 

“I have learned how to be more confident when speaking to people who I may not be familiar with, and I have learned how to be more social and outgoing because of the Buddy System,” Jordan said.

Harrah said she has also learned something from being a member of the organization. 

“I’ve learned that you don’t always have to have someone to go with you somewhere,” Harrah said. “If you want to attend an event, it’s perfectly okay to go by yourself and maybe meet new people in the process.”

Conley said working with students who are passionate about helping others has been very inspir-ing to her in her time as advisor of the organization. 

The Buddy System meets every Wednesday from 4:30 to 5:30 p.m. in Prichard Hall 143. 

More information about the Buddy System can be found through Facebook or Twitter @MUBuddySystem or by contacting Conley at [email protected].

Savannah Matney can be contacted at [email protected].