Police Blotter

Battery

A man approached a female student at Jenkins Hall Jan. 14. The man was wearing a charcoal mask and scarf. He made comments about the female’s makeup and eventually asked for her number. She gave him her number, and he hugged her and kissed her on the cheek. The female said she became uncomfortable, left and later received calls and texts from the individual. 

Bench Warrant

A white male, 41, did not show up for court and received a bench warrant. Shortly after, a dispatch call was made about a student being asked for money, and when officers arrived, the man matched the description of the white male who had a bench warrant. After further investigation, dispatch discovered the male had an active warrant out for his arrest, and he was taken into custody. He was set on a personal recognizance bond and released. 

Destruction of Property 

According to reports, Gibson Hall faced destruction of property on Jan. 18, where someone had entered a dorm room and continued to cut and rip five shirts, sweats and dresses. At the time, there were no suspects; the case is now closed, and the subject has been arrested.  

Assault 

Marshall University Police Department assisted Huntington Police Department at the Kalpha Alpha House Jan. 19. The house was egged, and a student went out to confront the subjects and was hit in the head. The case is now closed. 

Domestic Battery 

Domestic battery case on 1900 Block/Fifth Avenue Jan. 24. Male seen by a lieutenant and other witnesses outside cussing and screaming at a female. The lieutenant witnessed the man grabbing the female and pushing her. They had had a relationship for five years and had a child together. With evidence also recorded on witness cellphones, the man was taken to jail and charged with domestic battery and set on a $5,000 bond. Individuals involved were not students. 

Possession of a Controlled Substance 

A drug arrest occurred at 3:17 a.m. Jan. 25 on Fourth Avenue, when a red Hyundai was stopped and the driver began acting jittery. After three failed sobriety tests and a 0.000 on the breathalyzer, the driver admitted to taking Suboxone and had also taken speed less than three hours prior to being stopped. The subject was transported to Western Regional Jail. 

Destruction of Property

Incident happened in Harris Hall Jan. 27, where the subject tried to gain entry into the vending machine. It damaged the right side of the machine, where the subject was trying to gain access to the money. The subject was arrested. 

Mackenzie Jones can be contacted at [email protected].