Students to travel Nepal, India for independent study

Yeager+Scholars+Liz+Adams+and+Luca+Brambilla+will+travel+to+Nepal+and+India+to+climb+Mount+Everest+and+the+English+at+an+orphanage.+

Justin Murphy

Yeager Scholars Liz Adams and Luca Brambilla will travel to Nepal and India to climb Mount Everest and the English at an orphanage.

Yeager Scholars Liz Adams and Luca Lambilla are preparing to embark on an independent study in Nepal and India. The two Marshall University students will immerse themselves in the countries’ cultures, climb a portion of Mount Everest and teach English at an orphanage for five weeks in May and June.

Adams, a junior majoring in biomechanics, exercise science and English, and Brambilla, a sophomore biology pre-med major, said they were inspired by a volunteer trip they took last summer to Indonesia to work with turtles and decided to plan a trip of their own. The two will trek through Mount Everest for three weeks and will move on to India for two weeks where they will teach children English.

The two are undergoing high altitude training to prepare for the climb, as altitude sickness is a concern for hikers. The training, administered by a professor at Marshall University, consists of cardio vascular exercises, aerobics and weight lifting.

“High altitude puts a lot of stress on your body,” Adams said. “A lot of it you can’t control, but some of it you can try to prevent or make it less likely to affect you.”

Adams and Brambilla will be traveling with a guide and porter. Both said they think that they will get a perspective that many tourists don’t get. They will document their travels on a blog called “A Life of Adventures.” The pair said they hope to inspire international travel and to experience something outside western culture with their blog.

“People should consider the idea that something else exists, and people can be very happy in a different environment,” Brambilla said.

Both Adams and Brambilla come from small towns. Adams comes from Elizabeth, West Virginia, and Brambilla comes from a small town called Missaglia in northern Italy. They said coming from smaller communities largely inspired them to travel and see different cultures.

Justin Murphy can be contacted at [email protected].