Cyber security follows similar guidelines as campus safety

Brooke Griffin, Reporter

“Use your common sense,” “Don’t talk to strangers” and “Be aware of your surroundings” are all expressions spoken by those who are trying to keep people physically safe. What some people don’t know is that some of those ideas pertain to the cyber world, too.

“People don’t take the time to protect their computers like they should,” Information Technology (IT) Director Jody Perry said. “It really isn’t that hard, and Marshall students and faculty get cyber protection for free.”

October is National Cyber Security month and the IT department, located on the first floor of Drinko Library, encourages people to see its employees for any computer needs. Its services include software troubleshooting, installing virus protection and other technical help.

With the recent string of spam emails circulating through the official university emails of students and faculty, IT service members said to not open an email if it does not look campus-provided.

“There will always be a person sending the email,” Perry said. “Look for signatures and titles of official employees; look for unsuspicious content. There should never be an email that is Marshall-related that makes you nervous. If one does, it is likely a scam.”

The IT Department’s website lists several options alerting users on different suggestions for keeping their online devices safe. Some of the options include installing virus protection software and not sending personal information anywhere when one may be connected to an unsecure network.

“It really is mostly about common sense,” Perry said. “If something looks weird then just avoid it. A few minutes of your time spent on installing protection is a lot cheaper than buying a whole new device and losing your pictures or contacts.”

A Marshall-based group called Hackers for Charity will be making appearances throughout October to promote cyber security and lend a hand in helping to keep students and faculty safe from unsafe surroundings and strangers online.

Brooke Griffin can be contacted at [email protected].