Campus to celebrate LGBTQ Spirit Day

Pamela, Young

Each year, on National Coming Out Day, lesbians, gays, bisexuals, transgenders, and other members of the Marshall and Huntington Community gather to celebrate and support equality for all beings despite their sexual orientation or gender identity.

National Coming Out Day, founded in 1988 by psychologist Richard Eichberg and gay rights activist Jean O’Leary, was established to raise awareness of the lesbian, gay, bisexual and transgender communities.

Oct. 11 marks the anniversary of the second major National March on Washington for lesbian and gay rights, which took place 1987.

On Marshall University’s Campus, the LGBTQ+ office prepared an informative table Wednesday at the Memorial Student Center lobby outside of the Center for African American Students Office, marking the 29th anniversary of this national day.

Program director Shaunte Polk expressed the importance of celebrating those individuals for coming out and to raise awareness of the LGBTQ+ community and civil rights movement towards equality.

“In the 1980s, when many people did not know any openly gay people, coming out was a form of activism,” Polk said. “It challenged conventional ideas and fears by showing that the LGBTQ+ community was a part of everyday life.”

LGBTQ Spirit Day will be held on Monday from 10 a.m. to 2 p.m. in the Memorial Student Center Lobby.

Some students, faculty and members of the LGBTQ+ community will be wearing purple Monday in support of LGBTQ youth and to honor LGBTQ lives lost to bullying and assault.

Pamela Young can be contacted at [email protected].