Final Coffee with the Mayor scheduled for Tuesday

Emily Rice, Reporter

Students will have one more opportunity this semester to voice their opinions and concerns Tuesday to Huntington Mayor Steve Williams at the last Coffee with the Mayor event.

“I think with it being in December, it is a good time for us to gather input and feedback from the past year,” Bryan Chambers, communications director for the city of Huntington, said. “It is a good time to look toward 2015, and what the Marshall Community wants.”

Chambers said the mayor’s office has been very pleased with the turn out and responses of the events throughout the semester.

“Some people say that Marshall University students may not pay as much attention to student affairs, but that is not the case,” Chambers said. “Marshall students are very well informed and they care about civic issues.”

Chambers also said this last event of the fall 2014 semester is one where they want to hear ideas for the future.

“We want to use it as a forum for people to tell us what goals they want to see for 2015,” Chambers said. “What is their vision for 2015?”

The Student Government Association shares this expectation of looking toward the future.

“We are really hoping that students will come out and give some pragmatic changes that we can get started on the break,” said Caitlin Grimes, chief of staff for SGA’s Executive Branch. “We have a significant time off. We are gone for a month, so if there is anything they want brought up, this is the time.”

Grimes said the event continues to improve as the semesters pass and students seem to be getting more involved.

have overheard some really important conversations between students and the mayor about student safety, lighting on campus and stuff like that.”

Grimes also said Marshall’s SGA is in communication with the mayor’s office on a regular basis for a variety of reasons, and this open line of communication is important for both of their administrations.

“We are always in communication with the mayor,” Grimes said. “We have been trying to team up with local businesses to get student discounts at their stores, and we need to continue to keep that open line of communication to get that accomplished.”

Emily Rice can be contacted at [email protected].