Exit counseling required before students may ‘exit’

Marshall University’s Financial Aid Department held a student loan repayment workshop Tuesday in Drinko Library for students that are graduating in December, explaining how to begin their student loan repayment process.

Senior Financial Aid Counselor Chip Gue facilitated the workshop, helping ease the stress for students during this transition. Financial aid exiting counseling is required by the federal government, forcing all students to take part in it before they graduate.

“Students can find a lot of this information we provide online, but having this workshop helps make things more personable for them,” Gue said. “All questions can be answered here, making for an easier process.”

Each of the students that attended received an information packet on how to go about the repayment process, while counselors went through the whole packet with them, answering any questions they had.

Some students are not aware that they have to do exit counseling before they can graduate, so the financial aid department stresses the importance of this workshop.

“The countdown to commencement ceremony is typically where we try to make students aware of this workshop,” said Gue. “We set up a table every semester at the ceremony trying to make students aware.”

The counselors went through each type of the payment plans available to students, and explained the different components of each, allowing students for a better understanding on how it all works. Students that attend the workshop each semester are also put in a drawing to receive a framed diploma set.