Ezeigbo works hard on the court and in the classroom

LaChel House, Reporter

When Chukwuka Ezeigbo was 11 years old, she was not too interested in basketball. So, when she was told that her height would give her an advantage, and she should give the sport a shot, she reluctantly did. Today, basketball is Ezeigbo’s life.

Ezeigbo, a 6 foot , three center from Trenton, New Jersey, said the most important aspect of her life is basketball. Her fondest memory of the sport was her AAU’s (Amateur Athletic Union) team winning a championship in New York. However, her most embarrassing memory will never be forgotten.

“I scored on the other team’s goal one game when I was younger,” Ezeigbo said. “That had to have been my most embarrassing moment.”

Ezeigbo, who is of Nigerian descent, listens to music before every game to get warmed up. Although John Legend is her favorite artist, her choice of music reflects her heritage.

“I listen to African music when I am getting ready for a game,” Ezeigbo said. “It really gets me pumped and ready to play.”

Aside from her heritage, family plays a major role in Ezeigbo’s life. If she were to die and come back as someone, she said she would want to return as her aunt, who is one of the biggest support systems in her life.

“Whenever I needed her, especially after my father’s death, she was always someone I could lean on,” Ezeigbo said. “She also has a strong religious foundation that I admire.”

Ezeigbo, a senior, overcame the death of her father last season and became a leader on the team. McKenzie Akers, a sophomore guard from Princeton, West Virginia, said that Ezeigbo’s leadership has a positive effect on the team.

“She is a wonderful role model for our team,” Akers said. “She brings it every day and sets the tone for the rest of us.”

One of the most notable attributes of Ezeigbo is her work ethic. Women basketball’s head coach Matt Daniel said she is one of the hardest workers he has coached.

“Chukwuka comes to practice every day with a relentless effort,” Daniel said. “No matter what is going on in her life, she takes care of business.”

Her mentality towards work, Ezeigbo said, comes from her parents.

“One thing that my father always taught me is to put 110 percent into everything that I do,” Ezeigbo said. “I try to apply that in everything that I do.”

The importance of education was stressed in the Ezeigbo household. Ezeigbo is a biology major with a concentration in pre-med, which was influenced by her childhood pediatrician.

“She was able to explain medical things to me at a young age,” Ezeigbo said. “I have always had a fascination with the human body and how it works, so it was the perfect field of study for me.”

Ezeigbo said she likes to view herself as an intellectual. She is a huge fan of Mahatma Gandhi’s teachings and has a love for studying. A major goal she has this semester is earning a 4.0 GPA. Being a student-athlete can be difficult, but Ezeigbo has learned to manage.

“Communicating with teachers is very important, so I make sure they know what is going on,” Ezeigbo said. “I also put myself on a strict schedule by getting work done before and after practice.”

Ezeigbo’s plans on heading to medical school after she graduates.

Ezeigbo’s height, which was the reason why she began to play basketball a decade ago, has worked in her favor. Last season, she was the leading rebounder for the Herd women’s basketball team.

LaChel House can be contacted at [email protected].