Clements receives national honor for volunteer efforts, heart of service

Dr. Chuck Clements

Charles W. Clements, II, M.D., a professor at the Marshall University Joan C. Edwards School of Medicine in the department of family and community health, received the Jack B. McConnell M.D. Award for Excellence in Volunteerism.

Clements has been in the School of Medicine since 1993. First, as student,   later as a member of faculty in 1999.

During his time in the School of Medicine, he has been a dedicated advocate for those struggling in the dynamic health care system.

In 2011, Clements became the faculty leader for Marshall Medical Outreach, a student-created program that delivers health care to the homeless and to those who are at risk of becoming homeless.

Marshall Medical Outreach, also known as MMO, has been recognized locally, regionally, and at the state level for its efforts.

“I call my work a success for varies reasons: One, not just because of the people we serve, but the students and other positions that are involved are learning how to do this sort of thing,” Clements said. “When the students graduate and go to other cities they can take this concept and apply it to their new cities.”

Clements’ award was celebrated Saturday in Chicago at the national American Medical Association’s Foundation’s annual meeting where he received the prestigious honor.

“When I was notified that I was a recipient of this award I told the foundation and the others at the award ceremony that I was accepting the award on behalf of the people who have really been critical in helping me do this,” he said. “There are too many people who have helped make this possible.”

Clements said this award is a great honor because it validated what the Marshall Medical Outreach continues to provide in the community and encourages people to stay involved.

“This award shows that what we are doing is important enough and I think that’s good for the students who spend so much time working on this outreach,” he said.

Donyelle Murray can be contacted at [email protected].