Alumni Association, Marshall Foundation raise funds for student flood victims

The Marshall University Alumni Association and Marshall University Foundation are teaming up to raise money for students affected by the recent flooding in West Virginia.

Matt Hayes, executive director of Alumni Relations, said the partnership came about as a way to gather the most support for the victims.

“It’s the least we can do in an attempt to help meet the needs of so many members of our Marshall family who have been completely devastated and lost everything as a result of the recent flooding across the state,” Hayes said.

Hayes said they hope the fundraiser will ease the burden that student flood victims are feeling.

“We are making a best attempt to mobilize the Marshall family in a way that provides that support to the individuals so our students who are coming in the fall do not have to interrupt their educational plans and schedule just because of the flooding,” Hayes said.

Hayes estimated

approximately 700+ students have been affected by the floods.

“Hopefully we will be able to raise the funds and support will come so if they need clothes, or a vehicle, or a computer, whatever the needs are with those funds coming in we hope to be able to address those individual students.”

Hayes said the two organizations are working hard to contact different groups interested in helping.

“Recently several email messages have been sent to all those various parts of our Marshall community trying to get as much support as possible,” Hayes said.

One of those messages include one from President Jerome Gilbert inviting alumni to help support the cause.

“We have identified hundreds of our students who live in the West Virginia communities impacted by the floods,” Gilbert wrote. “While the university is still working to ascertain exactly what their needs may be, we know some of these students have lost housing, cars, furniture, books and computers, and may need financial assistance to help them replace the essentials of daily life.”

Hayes said a numeric goal has not been set, but rather a goal to help all

students affected.

“It’s hard to quantify an amount, but we know the number of students that are in those areas, so we are basing our efforts upon that,” Hayes said. “We are already aware of a couple of large gifts that have come in, so the support has started to come and we are hoping to hear from everybody willing to contribute to the cause and help these students.”

Donations can be made on the Marshall University Foundation’s website by designating the gift for the “Disaster Relief Fund.”

Students affected may also contact the Office of Student Financial Assistance at (304) 696-3162 for information about eligibility.

Clara Maynard can be contacted at [email protected].