Panel aims to educate on sexual and reproductive health

Marshall’s chapter of Amnesty International is fighting to preserve people’s rights to their own bodies through the “My Body My Rights” national campaign.

President of Marshall’s AI chapter Tori May said the national organization started the campaign this year to educate individuals on their sexual and reproductive rights and how they can make safe reproductive decisions.

To promote the project, Marshall’s AI is presenting a panel at 6:30 p.m. Tuesday in room 2w22 of the Memorial Student Center. The panel will feature sociology professor Maggie Stone and health professional Camille Ramsey, who intend to discuss issues such as consent, rape and sexual health.

Marshall’s AI chapter will also give a presentation at the panel with more information about “My Body My Rights” and the sexual and reproductive rights violations they are working to combat around the world.

May said it is vital for Marshall students, faculty and staff to understand the importance of promoting healthy habits in students.

“College is a time in which a lot of students experience a new freedom they have not had before. This can lead to good or bad decisions,” May said. “If a student is deciding to engage in sex, learning about contraceptives and safe sex is imperative.”

May also said the panel will educate participant on how to keep Marshall’s campus safe from sexual crimes committed at most universities across the country.

“Sexual assault has historically been a problem on college campuses,” May said. “Teaching students about their rights and emphasizing consent is very important, especially at this point in their lives.”

The panelists will be available to answer questions after the presentation.

Rebecca Turnbull can be contacted at [email protected].