Phi Kappa Phi inducts new members into honor society

Amanda Gibson

Marshall University students were inducted into to Phi Kappa Phi honor society Tuesday at the Memorial Student Center.

The Marshall University chapter of Phi Kappa Phi inducted new members into the honor society Tuesday in the Memorial Student Center.

The initiation ceremony began at 4 p.m. and opened with an introduction by chapter president Mary Beth Reynolds. The ceremony included a keynote address by Marshall University president Jerry Gilbert.

As a member of Phi Kappa Phi himself, Gilbert congratulated the students on their induction into the honor society.

“I think it’s fair to say that all of you are either leaders today or you will be leaders in the future,” Gilbert said. “We’ve recognized you as being excellent from the standpoint of academics.”

Office administrator for the Honors College and coordinator of the initiation ceremony Kate McComas said being inducted into Phi Kappa Phi is an honor. McComas said for the president of the university to come and speak to the induction participants was important and special.

“I think the whole organization just goes a long way to recognize people’s accomplishments,” McComas said. “And maybe they don’t get enough of that, being recognized for working so hard.”

Elementary education major Stacy Murphy said she was excited for her Phi Kappa Phi induction.

“I think it’s something very good to be inducted into,” Murphy said.

Murphy said Phi Kappa Phi is also something that could be beneficial to have on a resume.

Nursing major Courtney Hayslett said she was excited for her initiation and said being in the honor society could look great on a resume, as well.

“I think it looks really awesome on a resume,” Hayslett said. “I’m really excited. I think it’s awesome.”

Music education major Joshua Stewart said he was honored to be inducted into Phi Kappa Phi.

“I’ve been waiting to get my letter in the mail for a while now,” Stewart said. “So I was happy that it came through.”

Stewart said to be in an honor society like Phi Kappa Phi means a lot if a student wants to be at the top of their class.

The Phi Kappa Phi initiation is held every spring for invited junior, senior and graduate students. To be invited, a junior must be in the top 7.5 percent of their class within their college and senior and graduate students must be in the top 10 percent of their class within their college.

McComas said Phi Kappa Phi also presents students with leadership opportunities in organizing Phi Kappa Phi events throughout the school year.

Amanda Gibson can be contacted at [email protected].