Students find unique ways to celebrate spring break

With spring break approaching, students are trying to finish homework and get on the road.
“I can’t wait to go to Myrtle Beach,” said senior elementary education major Elizabeth Finch. “I am so excited to go back, I haven’t been there since my junior year of high school.”
Although some students are getting ready to enjoy the beach, friends and the sun, some are heading home to spend time with family.
“I’m from New London, Ohio,” said senior psychology major Morgan Clark. “My parents just moved there and they are building a new home. I haven’t seen them since Christmas so I am actually very excited to go home.”
Political science graduate and Marshall football player Clinton Van Horn said sports will be a priority over break.
“I stay in Huntington during break,” Van Horn said. “I am looking forward to training and getting better for the fall 2016 season.”
Instead of going to the beach, some students choose to go hiking through the Appalachian Trail.
“Three nights and four days through the cold mountains of Virginia,” said senior interpersonal communication studies major Margaret Hay. “I have hiked it before but this will be a new part of the mountain. All dehydrated vegan food, no Wi-Fi or any signal for use of phones. I will cook over a campfire and sleep in a tiny tent wherever I find a clearing on the mountain. I think it’s important for the human spirit to explore places where nature has not been rearranged by the hands of a man.”
Students this spring break seem to be doing a wide variety of things, but there is no doubt everyone is excited to get a break from their studies.
Carli Plute can be contacted at [email protected].