Hair from the Herd donates to Children with Hair Loss

Ryan Fischer

Elementary education major Kayla Main donates hair with the help of Michal Bowling from Paramount Beauty during Hair for the Herd outside the Memorial Student Center, April 14, 2016.

Marshall University’s WMUL FM spent Thursday hosting the ninth annual Hair from the Herd.
Hair donations were collected at the Memorial Student Center Plaza  with  28 students donating, beating the previously set goal of 20.
“I think it’s important for people donate,” said freshman elementary education major Kayla Mains. “It’s a good feeling to know I’m giving to someone who isn’t able to have what I have. I have done this once before and wasn’t sure if I wanted to do it again but here I am.”
All of the hair donations go to Children with Hair Loss, a nonprofit hair donation organization that makes wigs for children free of charge.
“We personally are all passionate about helping others and helping others do things that they want to do,” stylist Staci Reffit said. “As hair stylists, we aren’t able to do a lot of charity so we thought this would be a fun event to come out too and help the children that need wigs. I think people should do it because it not only helps children but getting a haircut makes you feel like a new person.”
Paramount Beauty Academy volunteered with WMUL to cut and style students’ hair, free of charge. 
“We are so glad this event went well and that we were able to host this event to get so many donations for the children,” said WMUL promotions director Cheyenne DeBolt.

Carli Plute can be contacted at [email protected].