Mauritius: On For Another Round Thursday

Ryan Fischer

Jackie, portrayed by Story Moosa, lights her cigarette during the dress rehearsal for Mauritius on February 15, 2016.

Mauritius reopens for another dramatic round of performances Thursday at the Francis-Booth Experimental Theatre.
After four daily performances last week, the stamp chasing drama returns with three more nights to experience the show.
“Nicole, and I’m talking about the director, she always does a good job,” said play attendee Vivian Atkinson.
Atkinson, as an avid fan of student performances, said she enjoys seeing the incredible energy and focus it takes to memorize words with emotional intensity added.
“What I tell students all the time: if you can focus on what you do, stay focused, you can do it,” Atkinson said. “And I think this play really shows that very very well.”
Atkinson said that although the play was well composed throughout, some of the abrasive language felt “unnecessary” at certain times.
Director Nicole Perrone said she mostly utilizes points within her teachings to direct a play involving students.
“We share a vocabulary and I try to prompt them to use the tools they’ve learned in class to kind of solve those problems that the play presents for them,” Perrone said. “But then sometimes I put on a director hat and I don’t really tell them how to solve it but just sort of tell them the result that it needs to be.”
Perrone said directing and educating in tandem is particularly useful to students who are just coming to the forefront of the stage.
“I’m an actor myself and I know how hard that is to when you’re given a note from the director that is result oriented,” Perrone said.
The program also brought along graduate Ryan Cardwell as the fight choreographer to deliver accuracy on the more dramatic scenes.
Mauritius will run from Thursday, February 25 to Saturday, February 27 with performances starting at 7:30 p.m.
Students may attend the event for free using their Marshall ID cards and general admission ranges from $15-20.

Ryan Fischer can be contacted at [email protected].