Free Health Checks Offered at Health and Wellness Fair

Wade Sullivan
The Health and Wellness Fair was held in the Memorial Student Center

Many of the health resources offered to students provided information about their services on Tuesday, Oct. 3, to those in attendance at the Health and Wellness Fair sponsored by Marshall Health.

This year, the fair offered free glucose and blood pressure checks as well as flu vaccines for those who needed them.

According to Michele McKnight, the Marshall Health assistant director of external affairs, the fair is an opportunity for the Marshall community to learn about the health resources at Marshall.

“Marshall is a university that has a medical school –  several other health profession schools, and they are here to serve Marshall,” McKnight said regarding the different groups providing services at the fair. “They are here to serve Marshall, and this is a good opportunity to get some preventative screenings and take care of your health from a preventative standpoint.”

At the fair, there were tables from a large variety of Marshall Health resources, including Marshall Dermatology, Marshall Dentistry, Marshall Family Medicine and Marshall Psychiatry.  

The biggest draw to the fair this year was the free flu shots provided by Marshall Family Medicine. Students Wyndsor Aumann and Scout Ashworth initially went to the fair for their flu shots but stayed longer after seeing what services were available to them.

“I needed to get my flu shot, honestly,” Ashworth said. “I honestly didn’t know this many resources were available to students.”

As an incentive to go to the fair and gather information from each group, attendees were encouraged to get a stamp from every table they visited. If a card had enough stamps, it was entered into a raffle drawing.

Anyone who wants more infor-mation regarding the services that Marshall Health provides should send an email to [email protected]. Anyone who wants to book an appointment or wants information regarding counseling services at Marshall should visit marshall.edu/counseling for more information.