Research Day allows science students to showcase their work

Marshall University students are presenting their research projects to legislation at the 12th Annual Undergraduate Research Day March 4 at the West Virginia State Capitol.

Chuck Somerville, dean of the College of Science, said members of the House and the Senate will be able to interact with students.

“We want to demonstrate to legislation that their investments in higher education have paid off,” Somerville said. “That’s what it’s really all about. It’s a good day for the students, and it’s a good day for Congress.”

Participants will set up posters and different display pieces to showcase their work.

Somerville said they typically allocate 80 spots for the different research projects, but this year they increased it to approximately 110 spots.

“We had over 150 abstracts that were submitted this year, which is great because it shows how many students are getting involved,” Somerville said. “We get to accept most of them, but sometimes the research just isn’t far enough along or maybe it’s more of a political opinion.”

Somerville said he and his colleagues focus on the quality and diversity of the research when determining who gets cut.

“We don’t want 15 chemistry abstracts and zero from political science or psychology,” Somerville said. “We want to make sure everything is covered.”

Computer science major Olivia Milam is one participant who chose to focus on the technological spectrum for her research project.

Milam is building a mobile application allowing medical professionals to easily search for an answer through a database of textbooks. Milam said her ultimate goal is to allow professionals more efficient time use.

Students from other colleges and universities across the state are joining Marshall students at the event.

Amy Napier can be contacted at [email protected].