BIG program offers support group for brain injury survivors

Marshall University is teaming up with the Center for Excellence in Disabilities to offer a support group for traumatic brain injury survivors and support members.

The support group meets the last Wednesday of every month at the Cabell County Public Library.

The Brain Injury Group of Huntington is open to anyone who has survived a brain injury, family members and support members.

Carrie Childers, assistant professor of communication disorders, organizes activities for the group sessions at the Cabell County Public Library.

Meetings might consist of the CED inviting speakers, doing trainings with interactive learning, discussing challenges and problem solving, sharing strategies and social nights with games.

“If people are interested in learning about a certain strategy and practicing, we would do that,” Childers said. “We want to give what people are looking for.”

Marshall students who are survivors of brain injuries or are students in the field of communication disorders can get involved with the BIG program.

“It is our hope that it gives students at Marshall University a resource, a committee based resource for education and support,” Childers said.

The next meeting is 6 p.m. Wednesday on the third floor of the Cabell County Public Library.

Allyson Carr can be contacted at [email protected].