Blessing of the Hands to inspire future nurses

Marshall University’s Students Nurse Association and Nurse Christian Fellowship are coming together for a Blessing of the Hands 2:30 p.m. Monday in Prichard Hall room 427.

The Blessing of the Hands is a yearly religious blessing done by a local Episcopal priest.

The blessing represents the care of the hands of nurses and student nurses who take care of others.

Jeanne Widener, SNA adviser, said the SNA provides growth for students as leaders to interact among nursing students in other courses. The program gives the opportunity to learn about different aspects of nursing through speakers and community service.

“This meeting is where SNA will hopefully elect our leadership for next year,” Widener said. “So the idea of a blessing on that leadership and all the student nurses attending seemed positive.”

Klara Kovacs, NCF adviser, said all nursing majors are welcome to attend the event.

“It is important to have NCF for those students who find that their chosen career is also a ministry for them,” Kovacs said.

The local SNA organization is also trying to foster a stronger relationship with the National Student Nurses Association. Widener said this will give students the opportunity to see the diversity in nursing across the country and the world.

Widener said in past years several students have attended the national convention, but the cost and rescheduled of missed classwork due to snow days, made the trip impossible this year.

“We will be working on a membership drive for national membership among active local SNA members to promote the connection we will not see in person,” Widener said.

Each NSNA student members will receive daily summaries of the activities at the convention.

Allyson Carr can be contacted at [email protected].