Week-long closing first since ’70s

A+snow+plow+clears+a+path+beside+the+Communications+Building.+Record+low+temperatures+and+heavy+snowfall+forced+Marshall+University+to+close+down+four+out+of+five+days+this+week%2C+but+local+businesses+maintained+steady+customers.+

Tyler Ferris

A snow plow clears a path beside the Communications Building. Record low temperatures and heavy snowfall forced Marshall University to close down four out of five days this week, but local businesses maintained steady customers.

Marshall University cancelled the majority of classes on all campuses last week due to an extreme snowstorm, which hit Huntington early Feb. 16.

Ginny Painter, senior vice president for communications and marketing, said the decision to cancel classes is more complicated than one might think.

“We have to consider not only the road conditions near campus, but also our parking lots and roads that commuters have to travel,” Painter said. “We have to balance the safety of our students and employees with the education factor and students getting to their classes.”

A joint committee including Painter, Interim President Gary White, Vice President of Operations Brandi Jacob-Jones, Provost Gayle Ormiston, Marshall Police Department Chief Jim Terry and Executive Director of Marshall Health Beth Hammers decide whether or not to cancel classes.

Painter said if bad weather is forecast, she and the other members consult at 5:30 a.m. to compare notes and make the decision.

While the snow had melted significantly towards the end of the week, temperatures had dropped below zero causing another point of concern for the committee.

“One of the reasons why we cancelled classes on Thursday and Friday when it was so cold was because we were afraid students wouldn’t have the proper attire,” Painter said. “This was a major unprecedented weather occurrence.”

We have to balance the safety of our students and employees with the education factor and students getting to their classes.

— Ginny Painter

Painter said the last time she could recall Marshall closing for such an extended time period was in the late 1970s.

“I’ve been asking around, and that seems to be the general consensus from everyone,” she said. “I believe it was either the winter storm of ‘77 or ‘78.”

Sophomore Justin Hurt said he was particularly glad the university closed because it allowed him time to relieve his school-related stress.

“After a month or so of the semester has went by, all of my class work really starts to pile up,” Hurt said. “This past week gave me a chance to just push all of that aside and relax. I’ve never been so thankful for snow.”

Hurt said he spent his week watching Netflix and visiting with friends and family.

Amy Napier can be contacted at [email protected].