Women’s golf disappoints in fourth tournament of the year

Finishing 15th out of 15 teams, the Marshall University women’s golf team competed in the three-day Princess Anne Invitational last weekend in Virginia Beach for its fourth tournament of the fall season.
“We played against some really good teams this past tournament,” Head Coach Brooke Burkhammer said. “I knew it was going to be difficult.”
With par set at 70 at the 5,824-yard course, senior Shelby Brauckmuller and junior Stormy Randazzo led the Thundering Herd overall, both shooting a combined 19-over par and finishing tied for 70th out of 82 golfers.
“You want a senior on the course and off the course, and Shelby does that for us,” Burkhammer said. “We need someone the girls can look up to.”
Brauckmuller ended the tournament with six total birdies, having two in each round, while Randazzo finished with four.
Shooting a 74 in round one, Randazzo had the best round between the two, going 4-over par.
“(Stormy has) just grown so much as a person,” Burkhammer said. “As a player, she’s going to be someone next year that’s going to be really good for us.”
The best single round of the weekend came from sophomore Torren Kalaskey, who shot a 71 in the first round, birding three-straight holes on the back-nine.
“This was only her second college event. I’m really proud of her,” Burkhammer said. “She can definitely play. She knows that, and the team knows that. That’s pretty important.”
She was not able to carry over her near par level play into days two and three, scoring an 82 and 86 respectively.
Not only was regression in subsequent rounds a problem for Kalaskey, it was a problem for Marshall’s total team score as well.
After day one of the tournament, the Herd was in 14th place, but after day two, they fell to 15th and remained there for the final round.
“I’m very interested to see how the girls respond to that this coming up week,” Burkhammer said. “When you’re faced with adversity, it shows what kind of person you are and what kind of student athlete you want to be.”
Sophomore Jackie Schmidt shot a 77 in the first round, but also had four birdies, which was the most any Marshall player had in a single round all weekend.
Schmidt would go on to finish the invitational tied with Kalaskey at 29-over par.
Freshman Makena Rauch, who finished 26-over par and tied for 78th position.
Raunch finished the invitational tied with Brauckmuller with six total birdies through three rounds.
LSU and Virginia Tech tied for the team title at 3-over par, while the individual trophy went to Virginia Tech junior Emily Mahar, who shot 7-under par.
The Marshall University women’s golf team returns to the course Sunday, Oct. 13 for the Palmetto Intercollegiate in Kiawah Island, South Carolina.

Grant Goodrich can be contacted at [email protected].