City of Huntington welcomes new residents to town

Sadie Helmick

Concilwoman Jennifer Wheeler of District 4 and Councilman Alex Vence of District 3 welcome new residents to the City of Huntington during the “About Town” event at The Fredrick.

Buffy Six, Reporter

New members of Huntington’s community were able to get to know the opportunities their new community has to offer Wednesday at “About Town,” in the lobby of 21 at The Frederick.

“In planning this event, we hoped that people could walk from table to table and learn about the neighborhood organizations in their area,” Bryan Chambers, communications director for the City of Huntington, said. “They could learn how to register to vote and learn about a wonderful, local food market on 14th Street West.”

Chambers said numerous groups attended, including groups representing healthcare, arts and culture, business and community organizations.

Although the event was aimed more toward new residents, Marshall University students were also able to get in on the action. Kirsten Whittemore, coordinator of member and guest services at the Marshall Rec Center, represented the rec at the event.

“I am also new to the area. I’ve been here a year, so I think this event was great for everyone,” Whittemore said. “I think it’s great that this gave students the opportunity to get out in their community.”

Marshall President Jerry Gilbert also joined the activities.

“I hope this event showed students that they are part of the community,” Gilbert said. “This is the city reaching out to the students and others saying ‘Welcome to Huntington.’”

Gilbert said he hopes that if this event takes place again in the years to come, more Marshall students will come out and participate and learn about their community.

Buffy Six can be contacted at [email protected].