Marshall University makes multiple renovations

Marshall University’s residence and dining halls have seen changes over the course of winter break.

There have been renovations and new additions to buildings including Twin Towers East and West, Harless Dining Hall, Towers Marketplace and the Marshall bookstore. The next school year should expect changes in several other buildings around campus as well.

Cedric Gathings, vice president for student affairs, said there will be expansion to these upcoming renovations, especially in the Memorial Student Center.

“We hope to have updated and modernized the basement of (the Memorial Student Center) into a student lounge and hang out space,” Gathings said.

The LGBT Office will be one of the first big changes seen in the upcoming year. It will be moved from BW-31, the small cornered room in the basement, to a large area where students will be able to easily locate it.

“As a department, it is important to provide a great overall experience for our residents,” said Meenakshi Elango, a graduate assistant and the assistant resident director for Marshall Commons. “For that reason, a lot of the renovations have been done to implement more learning community spaces in the halls. Not only is there a learning community classroom in East, but there’s also one in West now as well.”

Pamela Young can be contacted at [email protected].