Marshall University celebrates Veterans Day

Military and Veteran Affairs at Marshall University held a Veterans Day celebration Friday for members of the Huntington community. The event encouraged people come out to celebrate and remember those who have fought for their country.

The morning began with a reading of names of West Virginia’s fallen veterans read by Student Organizations at the Marshall Student Center amphitheater, followed by a celebration of student veterans with speakers including President Jerome Gilbert, Kim White, and Raymond Washington. The reading of W.Va.’s fallen veterans included the veteran’s name, where they were from, what branch they served for, and where they spent their time overseas.

Marshall’s student body president, Matthew Jarvis, also attended the event.

“I’d like to say thank you to all veterans for their sacrifice and hard work,” Jarvis said. “It’s an honor to be able to have the freedom to attend school because of these great people.”

Special guest speaker, Marshall’s President Dr. Jerome Gilbert, expressed his honor and gratitude towards our veterans.

“I want to express to all veterans that you have earned the right to be thanked by the American people, and more specifically by Marshall University. We are grateful for the veterans’ service to our country and our people. These men and women know the meaning of service above self, and we are all forever grateful.”

Kim White, veteran of the United States Navy, also made an appearance to thank the student veterans. “It’s great to see a crowd turn out today to recognize our veterans,” White said.

White touched on the opening of the Marshall University Veterans Center and lounge.

“We want a place where our veterans can feel welcome,” White said. “These veterans are sons and daughters of Marshall, they are a part of this family.”