Green Machine rolls into Huntington

Marshall University’s Student Government Association and faculty revealed the “Green Machine,” the newest mode of transportation for Marshall students, Friday morning in front of the Joan C. Edward’s Playhouse.

The Green Machine is part of the Tri-State Transit Authority (TTA) bus system used throughout Huntington. The Green Machine bus route is meant to give students more convenient transportation when commuting to places like the Visual Arts Center or Huntington’s Kitchen in downtown Pullman.

The bus route also gives students a more convenient way to travel to the local Kroger or to the shops in Pullman Square.

Student Body President Matt Jarvis said this is a way for the university to grow and connect with the city of Huntington.

“I think quite literally it grows the school,” Jarvis said. “We have a building downtown, so that building is our area. And everywhere else, that’s Huntington. But now we’re able to see that partnership finally happen. You know we are Marshall and we’re one Herd now.”

The idea of the bus began in 2015 with former Student Body Vice President Isabelle Rogner. She worked with the TTA, Marshall and the city of Huntington for the last year to see her plan come to fruition.

“I called it my passion project,” Rogner said. “I think every student has a passion project, but you have to look at the resources you have around you and utilize them. And so this is my first one, but it’s not going to be my last.”

In last year’s student body elections, students voted to approve adding $16 to their tuition to pay for the bus route. Now students can swipe their student ID to board the bus every time they need a ride.

The bus runs from 7:30 a.m. to midnight on weekdays and from noon to 3 a.m. on the weekends. It will go through downtown Pullman, back through campus and all the way down to the soccer complex.

Tom Jenkins can be contacted at [email protected].