Arvin Mitchell to perform comedy show Thursday

Comedian Arvin Mitchell will perform Thursday in front ofMarshall students and faculty as part of the Campus Activities Board’s March events.

Mitchell will perform from 5 p.m. to 6:30 p.m. in Marco’s Room in the lower level of the Memorial Student Center.

On his personal website, Mitchell describes himself as having a comedy style that “appeals to both urban and mainstream audiences worldwide.” Born in St. Louis, Missouri, Mitchell made his comedy debut in 2003 on BET’s reality show for amateur stand-up comedians, “Coming to the Stage.”

Beside his stand-up performances, Mitchell also hosted and acted. Mitchell hosted two BET shows, “Club Comic View” and “21 Questions.” Mitchell also appeared in the 2011 comedy movie, “Dance Fu.”

CAB advisor Sarah Dyke said  Mitchell’s comedy is “a different style.”

“He is the type that could say few words and make you laugh much harder than the other comedians,” Dyke said. “His style is clean comedy, but it’s real life things that happened to him and he lets you feel like you are in the scenario with him. And things that don’t really happen to other people happened to him and so when he tell the stories, it just add to his comedy.”

According to Dyke, Mitchell is the last comedian CAB booked for the 2016 spring semester. CAB will also give out a wireless Bluetooth speaker for a random student in attendance who retweets its tweet about the show.

Mitchell’s show is free for all students with valid IDs. Pizza and refreshments will also be served.

Son Nguyen can be contacted at [email protected].