Green and White Day attracts prospective students

The first Green and White Day of the spring semester was Saturday.
The Marshall University campus tour and informational event for high school students kicked off with a speech from Marshall University president Jerry Gilbert.
This was Gilbert’s first speech at a Green and White Day event. Gilbert began his speech by welcoming the prospective students to campus and concluded by initiating a “We Are…Marshall” cheer.
Director of Recruitment Beth Wolfe said Green and White Day is an event meant to introduce students to Marshall University. Wolfe said for many students, the event is their first visit to campus.
The event informed students of financial aid, completing the Free Application for Federal Student Aid, Marshall University admissions, admission requirements and some general information about life on campus.
Green and White Day also informed students of housing, safety on campus and different services the university offers, such as the tutoring center and counseling center.
Students were then able to go on a campus tour, a tour of their individual college, a tour of the residence halls and attend a final question and answer session.
High school junior Sela Cottrill said she decided to come to Green and White Day because she is interested in enrolling at Marshall. Cottrill said she is interested in the medical school and undergraduate programs the university offers.
“I’ve always liked the campus and the way it felt, it’s a very at-home college and I liked being close to home, but still far enough where it wasn’t right on top of my house,” Cottrill said. “I just have always liked the campus since I was very young.”
High school senior Sarah Casey said she wants to be in the nursing program at Marshall.
“I’ve always dreamed of coming to Marshall,” Casey said. “I feel like it’s a very welcoming environment.”
Wolfe said they want to provide students with that first level of information about cost, admissions, living on campus and safety. Wolfe said they also want students to spend time with the college that offers their major of interest, so students can learn about Marshall’s academic offerings and what they can accomplish as a student.
“We usually get very good feedback from the students who participate,” Wolfe said. “They find it helpful, they find it enjoyable, it usually makes them more excited about the prospect of coming to Marshall.”
Wolfe said the event is usually very successful for the university as an influencing factor in prospective students’ decisions.
Amanda Gibson can be contacted at [email protected].