Dance Thunder floods the student center

Before the rain, there was thunder. However, this thunder came not from the sky but from the feet of over 100 students gathering together for more information on the Thunder Dance marathon Tuesday night.

The Thunder Dance marathon began last year in an effort to raise money for children battling cancer while also creating a tight-knit community of students. The idea for Thunder came from Marshall University Medical Students and siblings Scott and Michelle Studeny. The brother-sister duo are graduates of the University of Kentucky and former participants of the DanceBlue marathon. As a service to the university and to the Huntington community, Scott and Michelle started Thunder to raise money for children and their families whom are affected by cancer and seek treatment at the Hoop’s Family Children’s Hospital.

Thunder raised over $36,000 last year. The marathon made history by raising the most money by any student organized fundraiser at Marshall. Over 130 participants contributed to the money raised by seeking sponsorships and holding their own fundraisers. Students danced through the night for 12 hours with no sitting and no sleeping. Music and motivation from friends and patients of the children’s hospital kept students on their feet.

“We want as many people to dance with us so it can become a college tradition,” said Thunder Dance marathon advisor and Marshall graduate Vic Perry as she spoke during the information session.

Many Greek organizations were present at the informative meeting. Fraternities and sororities helped create the success of Thunder last year because of their willingness to participate and raise money.

Thunder hopes Greek involvement can raise even more money in the marathon’s second year. Along with Greek organizations, Thunder has partnered with Campus Activities to encourage more students to participate with their friends this year.

To participate in the Thunder Dance marathon, students only have to bring their student I.D. The 2nd annual Thunder Dance marathon rolls into town on April 1 at 10 p.m. The last date to register is March 17.

Elayna Conard can be contacted at [email protected].