Huntington prepares for the Super Bowl

Many students and community members are planning and preparing for Sunday’s big game between the Carolina Panthers and the Denver Broncos.

Some said they are excited for more than the game itself.

Just like any other, Super Bowl 50 is bringing in a lot of hype for the commercials and half-time performance.

Allison Epling, a sophomore elementary education major said she is excited to cheer on Cam Newton and the Panthers, but is looking forward to the commercials the most.

“I enjoy the food and alcohol commercials,” Epling said. “The dogs and the commercials about America make me cry.”

Other students said they like that there are more things than just football and commercials. Junior, Jordan Fanelli said his favorite thing about Super Bowl Sunday is watching the cheerleaders.

“The cheerleaders are just so talented,” Fanelli said. “I just love to watch them.”

Fanelli said he plans to have a couple of his buddies come over to his place to watch the game.

Another topic that comes up around the time of the Super Bowl is what to do and where to go. Some Marshall University residence halls are putting on Super Bowl events for students.

Shirica Monroe, a sophomore finance major, said she plans on going to a Super Bowl party in the Willis Commons Lounge.

“I’m not a fan of football,” Monroe said, “but I’m always down for a good Super Bowl party. I will really enjoy getting to hangout with my friends and meeting new people.”

The Super Bowl party in Willis will begin at the start of the game and is open to all Marshall students.

Emily Kinner can be contacted at [email protected].