Ice cream social brings students together with dessert, music

The Marshall University Student Affairs office is hosting its Annual Ice Cream Social Friday.

The event will be at the Memorial Student Center Plaza and is a tradition former Dean of Student Affairs Steve Hensley initiated.

This year, current dean of student affairs Carla Lapelle is carrying on the tradition by hosting the event and said it will be a good way for students to relax before finals.

“We have all different flavors and it’s going to be a fun event,” Lapelle said. “My number-one, all-time-favorite flavor is Cherry Nut, so I’m looking forward to having it tomorrow.”

Senior criminal justice major Jake Saunders said he prefers his ice cream more simple than Lapelle and would rather go with vanilla.

“People have been talking about the ice cream social,” Saunders said. “I just hope it doesn’t rain. I’m looking forward to meeting new people and enjoying my ice cream.”

Not only is the ice cream social a way for students to hangout and enjoy their chosen flavor, but the Marshall University Wind Symphony will play music for attendees during the event.

“I like all types of music,” sophomore business management major Ryan Taylor said. “I especially like live music, so I think it’s cool that there will be Marshall students playing at the ice cream social.”

The Marshall University Alumni Association is partnering with student affairs and will begin serving students at 1 p.m. Lapelle advises students to get there early before the ice cream runs out.

Lapelle also said she has been checking the weather for the event and expects sunshine. However, the event will be held Monday, May 2 at the same place and time in case of inclement weather.

Emily Kinner can be contacted at [email protected].