SGA elects historian, swears in new senators

Jared Casto

Carla Lapelle, interim dean of student affairs, swore in apprentices as senators at the meeting. The six new senators include Sam Cain, Elise Gooding, Ethan Higginbotham, Shelby McCracken, Shaylin Reid and Cody Straley.

Marshall University’s Student Government Association elected a historian and swore in new senators during its Tuesday meeting.

Historian nominations were closed with three senators vying for the position. Senate president pro-tempore, Alex O’Donnell said there was a crucial need for a new historian who took the responsibility of the position seriously.

“I’m going to make them work very, very hard,” O’Donnell said. “The time of the historian who does absolutely nothing but puts it on their resume is over.”

Nominees David Crawley, Whitney Ramey and Nick Uliana presented their qualifications for the position, ranging from historic reports they had written in previous classes to high school yearbooks they had designed. Ramey ultimately received the majority vote.

“I feel that the most important part of being a historian is that you’re present at every meeting,” Ramey said. “You can always count on me being here.”

Carla Lapelle, interim dean of student affairs swore in apprentices as senators at the meeting. The six new senators include Sam Cain, Elise Gooding, Ethan Higginbotham, Shelby McCracken, Shaylin Reid and Cody Straley.

Bills from the Keramos Potters Guild, Vietnamese Student Association, Disciples on Campus and Beta Alpha Psi were approved. Funding of various amounts were given to the organizations to provide them with the ability to fund essential organization activities.

O’Donnell presented a resolution that will change the requirements for organizations’ final funding reports. Currently, organizations who receive funding write a report detailing their use of SGA funds. O’Donnell’s proposal requires organizations to relate their funding to university learning outcomes. O’Donnell’s resolution was approved.

Another resolution was proposed that would thank interim president, Gary White for his year of service at Marshall University. While the senate, executives and advisors were all in favor of this bill, it was sent back to the Campus Life Committee to have a greater focus on the specific accomplishments of White.

SGA executives addressed the senate about upcoming events. Notably, Veterans and Diversity Affairs liaison, Keith Schemel and Campus Life and Committee chairwoman, Rachel Rohrbach encouraged students to attend this Thursday’s basketball game. According to Schemel and Rohrbach, the game will be one of SGA’s main social events this semester and will also give participants community engagement hours.

Jared Casto can be contacted at [email protected]