Leftover snow causes parking turmoil around campus

Ryan Fischer

Parking problems arise around campus Monday due to the weekend snowstorm.

Many commuter students are unhappy with the university’s decision to remain open after the weekend’s weather.

Winter Storm Jonas brought 12 inches of snow to Huntington through Friday and Saturday. The snow stopped falling Saturday evening, but it is still covering many roads and parking spaces, including 3rd Avenue.

Stephen Holland, a sophomore exercise science major said the parking issue put a lot of people in an awful situation.

“Even people with parking passes are having a hard time finding a space in the lots because of the excess snow,” Holland said. “I saw a truck on 3rd that was basically buried in snow.”

Eric Wallace, the heating, ventilating and air conditioning lead for Marshall, said the snowstorm is definitely affecting students and others on campus.

“We’ve pushed several cars out of the snow this morning,” Wallace said. “It’s been kind of a pain to deal with and get around.”

Melissa Clark, a senior international affairs and French major said she has not had problems with parking because the snow allows her four-wheel drive to get a spot closer to campus.

“I agree with the university’s decision to stay open,” Clark said. “But they could maybe be lenient on those who could not drive to school.”

However, several students have complained about school still being open and have taken the issue to Twitter.

The Marshall University twitter account responded to some tweets by reminding students they can contact instructors in advance about absences if the road conditions don’t permit travel.

Emily Kinner can be contacted at [email protected].